Fantastic. Thankfully it's not 2004 and my camera phone does a nice enough job, despite the yellowy overhead lights. I would have taken it outside for better lighting, but being summer, and in England, it was pissing it down with rain. So everything was against me.
But who am I to let the weather and my husbands forgetfulness end my attempts at recording my hard work?
So here, in all of it's colour corrected glory, is the story of how I made this cake.
So as soon as I found an interest in baking, I started to return the favour. This year I decided to push the boat out a little and attempt a version of a cake I had seen on the talented Emily's blog a few months back. Here is the link, and with much better photography than this post will have.
So how was it done? When it came to making afternoon tea parts, I had to let the icing dry before I could paint them, and then dry again before putting it all together. Each part was made separately and then assembled on the cake.
So i made one hell of a mess.
My first attempt at plates & saucers failed (they were too thick and wouldn't set.) But my teapot, teacups, sandwiches and tasty treats were all drying nicely.
The teapot was easy enough, despite my spout looking a little flaccid and sorry for itself, and I ended up making an extra lid after my attempts and putting a little handle on the top ruined the original shape.
I remade the plates, plus a few spare ones in case any broke in the assembly. It was a bloody good job I did. Then I painted the same pattern onto the plates, parts of the cake stand and teacups.
The worst part was the cake stand. I don't know why I did that too myself. One extra hard push and the whole thing snapped in half. Assembling tiny sandwiches and scones to a delicate sheet of icing, with shaky big fat hands was incredibly difficult.
But we got there. I say we, but Kris actually played Spyro games and napped whilst I assembled and made this cake. Which is why there are no pictures of me making it. What a rubbish glamous assistant he turned out to be.
So after 12 hours (split over two days) I was putting the finishing touches to the cake.
Everything was made from icing, and was fiddly as hell.
4 teacups and sauces
1 cake stand
1 sugar pot complete with mini sugar cubes
1 milk jug
1 cake knife
1 cake plate
3 serving plates
20 mini ham sandwiches
1 pot of jam
1 pot of clotted cream
8 various pastries
1 victoria sponge
1 table runner
All I can say was it was a bloody perilous 10 minutes car ride over to my Auntie's house.
But I think she liked it.
So then onto the best part, eating it. I went for a traditional classic sponge, with a redcurrant and strawberry filling.
She refused to cut through any of the decorations, so carefully dismantled the cake before cutting.
And that's about it.
Happy Birthday Auntie Bee!